Legislative Advocacy Day April 16
AERA’s 2019 Legislative Advocacy Day is Tuesday, April 16, 2019. Plan on being at the State House from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Members, please come early enough to be prepared to be at the State House by 11 a.m. AERA will have a red t-shirt for everyone attending the rally. Lunch and travel will be on your own.
Parking is planned with a designated parking area and shuttle service. Please park in the Patterson Field parking lot. The parking lot address is 1201 Madison Avenue, Montgomery 36107. From 9:30 a.m. until 3 p.m., a 56-passenger Cline charter bus will be looping from the Paterson Field parking lot, to AERA, to the State House repeatedly. AERA will have signs posted. (Patterson Field is across the street from Crampton Bowl.) Patterson Field is .6 miles from our office and the State House is 1 block away. AERA is located at 828 Washington Avenue, Montgomery 36104. AERA’s phone number is 334-262-4177.
A tent will be set up at the Patterson Field parking lot where t-shirts will be given out before you get on the Cline bus. While in Montgomery, please plan on wearing the t-shirt over something so that you don’t have to carry your change of clothes. Wear comfortable shoes.
Restrooms, water, and snacks will be at the AERA office.
Itinerary at the State House;
- The charter bus will drop you off at the front door of the State Capitol.
- Upon entering, you will need to go through the metal detector. Nail files, clippers, pocket knives, etc. will be confiscated.
- Be sure not to block the hallways as per state house security.
- Take some time to visit your representatives and senators in their offices to discuss passing the $800.00 bonus check for public education retirees. If they cannot meet with you, leave a note card stating your position on the public education retiree bonus bill.
- At 12:30 p.m., AERA members will meet with Senator Rodger Smitherman and Representative Tim Wadsworth (House bill sponsor) in room 617 to discuss our bill. House convenes at 1 p.m. Those of you that can stay later than 1 p.m., please fill the House gallery seating area (located on the 6th floor) so that the Speaker of the House will recognize AERA members. There will be overflow seating in rooms 602, 603, and 617. The Senate will not be in session at this time.
- When you are finished with the State House visit, go to the lobby and gather in front of the State House to board the Cline bus to take you back to the parking lot. Last bus run is 2:30 p.m.
Enjoy the day!